Remarkable Ohio


Below is a complete listing of all Ohio Historical Markers. To find a detailed marker listing including text, photographs, and locations, click on a county below. Our listing is updated by the markers program as new markers are installed and older markers are reported damaged or missing.

6-27 University of Rio Grande Founders: Nehemiah and Permelia Atwood

Side A: This historic marker is on the western boundary of the original 10 acre Rio Grande College Campus, founded and endowed by Nehemiah and Permelia Atwood. The campus was located on the southeast corner of the Atwood Farm. Construction of Atwood Hall and the Boarding Hall began in 1875. The College was organized on November 1, 1875, dedicated on August 29, 1876, and opened for classes on September 13, 1876. Rio Grande College was incorporated as a non-profit educational institution by the State of Ohio on May 30, 1883.
Side B: Same
Sponsors: Gallia County Historical Society and O. O. McIntyre Park District, University of Rio Grande Board of Trustees, and The Ohio Historical Society
Address: SR 324, 
Rio Grande, 
Location: West edge of the main campus, across from Allen House
Latitude: 38.8821000
Longitude: -82.3806300