Side A: With work inspired by mythology, literature, religion and nature, Cowan Pottery played a significant role in the formative years of American ceramic art and established a national following with products sold in fine department stores. The design studio, factory and showroom of Cowan Pottery stood here from 1920-1931. R. Guy Cowan moved the business to Rocky River from Lakewood, where it started in 1913. Although Cowan Pottery closed during the Depression, the firm’s work is still collected and can be found in the Smithsonian, Cleveland Museum of Art and other museums. Comprehensive holdings are in the Cowan Pottery Museum at the Rocky River Public Library.
Sponsors: Rocky River Historical Society, Cowan Pottery Museum Associates, The Ohio History Connection