Side A: Established in 1823, the pioneer settlement of St. Marys became a thriving 19th century milling center following completion of the Miami & Erie Canal in 1845. The Reservoir Mill, built by Scott, Linzee & Co. in 1847, led this period of industrial growth as the first mill in St. Marys powered by the canal’s water. Robert B. Gordon purchased it in 1855 and in 1896 the mill passed to his son, Robert B. Gordon Jr., who formed the firm Gordon, Hauss & Folk. Producing “Purity” and “Pride of St. Marys” flour, Gordon, Hauss & Folk owned the mill until 1955. The mill was used as a grain elevator until 1972, then as a storage facility for the next 40 years. (Continued on other side)
Side B: (Continued from other side) Reservoir Mill is one of the last remaining examples of mid-19th century industry and mill architecture on the Miami & Erie Canal. Built in the Greek Revival style in 1847, the facade’s temple front with cornice returns remains intact. From the original 40’ x 60’ footprint, the mill was greatly expanded in the late 1800s with additions built on the west as well as a two-story warehouse to the northeast. The canal’s water power was initially harnessed using a double overshot waterwheel but in 1912 the waterwheel was replaced with a water turbine, which increased the mill’s power and daily production rose to 100 barrels of flour.