Remarkable Ohio


Below is a complete listing of all Ohio Historical Markers. To find a detailed marker listing including text, photographs, and locations, click on a county below. Our listing is updated by the markers program as new markers are installed and older markers are reported damaged or missing.

3-68 Bunker Hill House

Side A: The Bunker Hill House, previously the Bunker Hill Tavern, was built in stages between 1834 and 1862. The building is one of Ohio’s best representations of Federal-Greek Revival style “pike town” architecture. This architectural style is closely associated with pre-Civil War horse-powered turnpike transportation and lodging. The building was a way station for pioneers heading west and for drovers driving their animals to Cincinnati stockyards. It was also a stagecoach stop on Eastern Stage Coach Company’s Cincinnati Omnibus Line that operated daily between Cincinnati and Richmond, Indiana. Tavern operations ceased in 1858 due to decreased turnpike travel resulting from the newly completed railroad through nearby Camden. In 1862, a general store was established to supply the growing population in the area. The store closed in the early 1900s with the advent of the automobile, which made travel to larger, more distant stores viable. The Bunker Hill House was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2001. (continued on other side)
Side B: (Continued from other side) The Bunker Hill House has been designated a Historic Ohio Underground Railroad Site by the Friends of Freedom Society. Among those at the Bunker Hill House who helped runaway slaves find their way to freedom was Gabriel Smith, fondly known as “Old Gabe.” Old Gabe was a free black and a conductor on the Underground Railroad. He was a member of the nearby Hopewell Church, which provided a network to help slaves escape. Old Gabe’s “room” at the Bunker Hill House was a small closet under the stairway in the summer kitchen that led to the servants’ quarters. Runaway slaves traveled secretively along the adjacent Four Mile Creek and entered the back of the building for refuge as they journeyed toward Canada and freedom.
Sponsors: Ohio Bicentennial Commission, The Longaberger Company, The Proctor and Gamble Fund, and The Ohio Historical Society
Address: 7919 OH 177, 
Fairhaven (Camden Post Office and for GPS), 
Location: At the S end of the building
Latitude: 39.6368510
Longitude: -84.7721080