Remarkable Ohio


Below is a complete listing of all Ohio Historical Markers. To find a detailed marker listing including text, photographs, and locations, click on a county below. Our listing is updated by the markers program as new markers are installed and older markers are reported damaged or missing.

19-57 Heritage Village

Side A: On this site Daniel Gebhart established a tavern in 1811. Taverns were where people gathered to eat, rest, and share news. During spring freshets, boatmen from the Great Miami River stayed at the tavern. Joining them were pioneers coming by the river and overland to settle at Hole’s Station, now Miamisburg. The tavern closed in 1840, became a boarding house, and then sold to become a private residence in 1853. To commemorate the nation’s Bicentennial in 1976, Miamisburg’s bicentennial committee purchased the tavern and gave it to the city. It was restored and opened as a museum in 1982. (Continued on other side)
Side B: (Continued from other side) Jacob Kercher, a founder of Miamisburg, came here in 1809 and built a house that same year. It is an example of a structure built with logs and covered with lap siding. The north side and interior show the log structure. On July 16, 2008, the house was moved here from its original location on Ferry Street. It was made structurally safe and is used for the Historical Society’s educational programs. The smokehouse next to the pioneer home was discovered on Harold R. Gebhart’s farm at the corner of routes 741 and 725 and moved here in 1980.
Sponsors: Miamisburg Historical Society and The Ohio Historical Society
Address: ‘140 W. Lock Street, 
Location: N side of W. Lock Street just W of Old Main Street
Latitude: 39.6382480
Longitude: -84.2910570