Side A: In 1847, after completion of the Miami & Erie Canal, 66 residents were recorded in Liberty Township. Construction of Wabash Railway in 1854 encouraged trade at the half way point between Washington Station and Napoleon. Proprietors such as George W. Buchanan, Frank Prey, Alexander Cooper, and Benjamin Penncock began business around 1860. On June 4, 1863, Alphaeus Buchanan registered a plot of 12 lots, which became Liberty Center. On April 9, 1874, the Village of Liberty Center was incorporated and became a prosperous town along the Wabash Railway. (Continued on other side)
Side B: (Continued from other side) Early settler Calvin C. Young built, at his own expense, the first railroad depot in Liberty Center. He allowed the Wabash Railway to use this depot rent free. Young’s depot was moved to 361 East Maple Street and converted into a home. In 1891, a replacement depot was built and lengthened in 1907 making the office larger. In 1959 the last passenger train made its stop in Liberty Center and in 1965 the depot was closed. Fearing the depot’s demolition, the Liberty Center Historical Society formed, moving the structure across Wabash Street in 1984.