Side A: Founded in 1833, this is the oldest congregation organized within Toledo’s original boundaries. From 1844 to 1913 the church occupied a succession of three meeting houses on St. Clair Street. In 1913 First Church merged with Central Congregational Church. The pews and eight stained glass windows from the 1878 church were incorporated into this meeting house which was dedicated in 1916.
Side B: The adjoining Central Church served as the parish house until its destruction by gas explosion in 1927. The present parish house, dedicated in 1931, has a cornerstone from Scrooby, England, one of the Pilgrims’ hometowns. The windows of this church offer outstanding examples of stained glass from the studios of Louis Comfort Tiffany, Louis Lederle, and Payne-Speers.
Sponsors: First Congregational Church, Toledo Sesquicentennial Commission, and The Ohio Historical Society