Side A: Listed on the National register of Historic Places in 1974, this building was the post office from 1940 through 1986. It is an example of the Colonial Revival style common in the 1930s and 1940s. The exterior brick work, large Palladian window, and simple design were common in the building plans for era post offices. This simplicity enabled unskilled workers to be employed in public works projects. The building’s interior still has the original portico, wood and marble-paneled walls, terrazzo floors, and mailing lobby. (Continued on other side)
Side B: (Continued from other side) It is one of two buildings in Chardon that were sponsored and developed by the New Deal Federal Works Agency, the other being Park Elementary School on the east side of Chardon Square. Congresswoman Frances P. Bolton was instrumental in obtaining this post office for Chardon. Located on the southwest corner of the building, the inset cornerstone memorializes its dedication. The postmistress at the time of the dedication was Leita Tuttle.
Sponsors: Neece, Malec, Seifert, & Vitaz, Inc, and The Ohio Historical Society