Side A: Union County, Ohio, was established on April 1, 1820. The county was created from the “union” of portions of Delaware, Franklin, Logan, and Madison Counties, and a section of former Native American territory. The first seat of justice was in the village of Milford with court sessions held in the tavern of Nathaniel Kazar. In 1822, the county seat was moved to Marysville where court sessions were held in the tavern of Matthias Collins until a courthouse was erected later that year on East Fifth Street. This structure was replaced in 1838 with the construction of a two story brick building located on the Public Square. This courthouse served the county for nearly fifty years before the county decided to construct the current courthouse, built from 1880 to 1883. (Continued on other side)
Side B: (Continued from other side) The Union County Courthouse was designed by Toledo architect David W. Gibbs (1836-1917) using elements of Italianate and Second Empire architectural styles. Toledo contractor Karst & Woodruff was hired in the fall of 1880, work on the building started later that year. The building was constructed of brick and Berea stone and rises 168 feet high, four stories tall. Lady Justice stands ten feet tall and is surmounted atop the cupola. The tower is built entirely of wrought iron, originally containing a striking tower-clock with illuminated dials, seven feet in diameter, manufactured by E. Howard & Co., of Boston, Massachusetts. The finished building was dedicated on January 27, 1883, at a total cost of $135,015 and was praised for its “beauty, elegance and convenience.” The courthouse was renovated from 1992 to 1994 and still serves the citizens of Union County.