Below is a complete listing of all Ohio Historical Markers. To find a detailed marker listing including text, photographs, and locations, click on a county below. Our listing is updated by the markers program as new markers are installed and older markers are reported damaged or missing.
137-25 St. John African Methodist Episcopal Church / The Morris Addition
Side A: Bethel A.M.E. Church was the first African American church in Worthington. Black residents joined Worthington’s established churches as early as 1847 or worshipped together in their homes. Peter Banks with D.H. Taborn, Charles Kiner, J.T. Horton, and James Birkhead organized the A.M.E. congregation in 1896. Rapid growth moved their meetings to the Worthington Town Hall by 1897. A lot was purchased from Millie Alston on September 24, 1897, and a house relocated to serve as Bethel Chapel. Local carpenter Chester Hard constructed a new building that was dedicated as St. John A.M.E. in 1914. The church has served as the religious and social hub of Worthington’s Black community for more than a century. While St. John A.M.E. Church retains their original location, worship services moved to 7700 Crosswoods Drive in 2004.
Side B: The Morris Addition was Worthington’s first platted subdivision, annexed into the town in 1856. The plat included 124 lots bordered by today’s East Granville Road, Morning Street, South Street, and Andover Street. In 1854, the Methodist minister Rev. Uriah Heath purchased the land from Calvary Morris and George McCullough for $4,000. Lots in the Morris Addition were sold as early as 1855. Deed records indicate that a significant number of free Blacks owned land and built or occupied homes in this subdivision from its inception. Family names of African Americans who purchased lots include Turk, Farabee, Scott, Alston, Monroe, Parks, Bell, Carter, Clark, Taborn, and Todd. During the second half of the 19th century, the Morris Addition and its St. John A.M.E. Church was the center of Worthington’s African American community.