Below is a complete listing of all Ohio Historical Markers. To find a detailed marker listing including text, photographs, and locations, click on a county below. Our listing is updated by the markers program as new markers are installed and older markers are reported damaged or missing.
Side A: Hector Kilbourne, a Freemason and the surveyor who make the original plat of Sandusky (as Portland) in 1816, laid out the streets to form the Masonic emblem. Huron and Central Avenue are the arms of the compass, Elm and Poplar Streets the sides of the mason’s square. The first Masonic Lodge in Sandusky was founded in 1819, with Kilbourne as Master.
Sponsors: Masonic Emblem (art work) The 29 Lodges of the 16th District, Grand Lodge, Free and Accepted Masons of Ohio, Crawford, Erie, Huron, Seneca, and Wyandot Counties and The Ohio Historical Society
Location: Washington and Wayne Streets, in the Sandusky Park Downtown