Below is a complete listing of all Ohio Historical Markers. To find a detailed marker listing including text, photographs, and locations, click on a county below. Our listing is updated by the markers program as new markers are installed and older markers are reported damaged or missing.
2-65 The Deercreek Frontier / Williamsport and Deercreek Twp.
Side A: In 1772-73 missionary David Jones visited Blue Jacket’s Town, a settlement of 12 cabins downstream on the east bank and Pickaweekee, a Shawnee town, on the west bank. Deercreek Methodist Circuit Deacon, Dr. Edward Tiffin, met settlers after 1798. Dr. Tiffin was later elected first governor of Ohio. A station of Virginia bounty-land settlers, “Williams Town,” assembled here around 1797. Mill sites, established before Pickaway County, flourished in the dense oak forest of Deercreek Township. Frontier hotels in Williamsport prospered due to the “healthful” sulphur springs.
Side B: Development occurred rapidly in this area. In 1803 the first school was built in Deercreek Township, in 1810 the Christian Church, in 1812 Baker Mill, in 1813 Yates Mill, (restored in 1980), in 1816 a Post Office and in 1826 the Deercreek Methodist Circuit Class was organized. Williamsport incorporated in 1842. A separate village school system was established in 1874 and a high school operated from 1891-1964. A weekly newspaper was published from 1889-1979. From 1903-1929 theatrical companies featuring “Uncle Tom’s Cabin” toured from Williamsport.