Below is a complete listing of all Ohio Historical Markers. To find a detailed marker listing including text, photographs, and locations, click on a county below. Our listing is updated by the markers program as new markers are installed and older markers are reported damaged or missing.
Side A: Hancock County was organized March, 1828, court being held in a log schoolhouse. In 1833, a frame courthouse was built. It served until 1840, when a brick structure went up on this site. During the oil and gas boom of the 1880’s, the present courthouse was erected at a cost of $305,272, and dedicated Oct. 27, 1888.
Side B: June 5, 1885, County Commissioners. C.S. Kelley, J.M. Moorhead and A.S. Beck, together with G.W. Galloway, G.W. Myers, Lemuel McManness and Presley Hay approved plans for the third Hancock County courthouse. W.H. Campfield & Son were contractors; Weary & Cramer, architects. Justice, Law and Mercy are the statutory group. The 16-ft. statue of John Hancock stands 130 ft. above ground.