Below is a complete listing of all Ohio Historical Markers. To find a detailed marker listing including text, photographs, and locations, click on a county below. Our listing is updated by the markers program as new markers are installed and older markers are reported damaged or missing.
Side A: The Village of Poland officially incorporated in August 1866, a year after the end of the Civil War. In April 1867, the citizens elected John Leslie as mayor. As of 1880, Poland’s population exceeded 400. Through its history, the village has consisted of a four-acre village green, churches, schools, hotels, a sawmill, gristmill, post office, tannery, and foundry, as well as carriage, tin, and cabinet shops; drug, dry goods, and hardware stores, and doctors, blacksmiths, and shoemakers. Residents swam in and skated on Yellow Creek. The Poland Municipal Forest was established in 1938 and annexed later as the Village continued to grow. In 1966, the residents held a three day Centennial Celebration, featuring an address by Governor James Rhodes. The centennial year also saw the publication of a history of Poland and the restoration of Centennial Gardens.
Side B: The stately 1845 Greek Revival town hall, originally a private residence owned by William Little, stands in the center of Poland Village. Later the Stoddard family owned the property and operated a tannery along Yellow Creek. Until 1920, a grist mill occupied a corner of the property. In 1923, Judge James B. Kennedy bought the eleven-acre estate from Grace Wilkerson, adding to and modernizing the house. In 1934, Kennedy sold portions of the property to the Poland Board of Education for Baird Mitchell Stadium and another parcel to the American Legion. The Poland Forest Foundation spearheaded the purchase of the house for use as town hall, which was dedicated on September 30, 1962. In addition to village offices, the town hall included a jail cell and library.