Side A: The Clinton County Courthouse was dedicated October 22, 1919. The Cincinnati firm of Weber, Werner and Adkins designed the edifice and it is a local masterpiece that fuses the Beaux-Arts and Neo-Classical architectural styles. A grand marble staircase rises from the basement to the second floor. At the center of the cruciform plan is a dome 32 feet in diameter with a stained-glass window. The murals of four women beneath the dome represent Agriculture, Education, Medicine, and Industry, and are known as the Guardians of the Courthouse. The county built courthouse and former jail for a combined cost of nearly $370,000.
Side B: Clinton County was established on February 19, 1810 and named for George Clinton, vice president of the United States under both Thomas Jefferson James Madison. Wilmington, the seat of government, was located near the center of the county on land donated by David Faulkner and Joseph Doan. The county had two previous courthouses, located on the northwest corner of Main and South streets and built in 1813 and 1838-’39, respectively. The 1919 courthouse was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1982 as a part of the Wilmington Commercial Historic District.
Sponsors: Clinton County Commissioners, Clinton County Historical Society, and The Ohio History Connection