Side A: Elizabeth Township was founded in 1807. The Elizabeth Township House was built about 1870, serving as the community’s assembly hall. The building is similar to the seven remaining one-room, brick schoolhouses, built throughout the township between 1868 and 1873. In 1997, the township was added to the National Register of Historic Places as Ohio’s first rural historic district. The district includes all of Elizabeth Township and parts of Staunton and Bethel townships. This marker erected to commemorate the 200th anniversary of the township’s founding.
Sponsors: Miami County Milestones Committee, Miami County Foundation, and The Ohio Historical Society