Side A: Religious worship began on this site in 1820 as a Plan of the Union Sunday School with ministers recruited by the Connecticut Home Missionary Society. Its first stone church, officially known as the First Presbyterian Church of Cleveland, was built and dedicated on February 26, 1834, but as the congregation grew, a second stone church was constructed and finished on August 12, 1855. Built of Berea Sandstone, it stands now as the oldest building on Public Square. Ravaged by fires in 1857 and 1884, the church was rebuilt according to the original plans, and the 1884 interior restored by East Coast architect, Charles W. Schweinfurth. From 1965 to 1983, the chapel served as the worship center for the Cleveland Chinese Christian Church.