Side A: When Sunbury was platted in 1816, a town square was set aside for public use with the intention of constructing a town hall on the site. The first two stories of the Town Hall were built, as a school, in 1868 for $5,000. The Masons added the third story for $1,500 and occupied it for 91 years, until a lodge was constructed. Since 1868, the Town Hall has served Sunbury as a village office building, jail, fire station, and community library. Church services as well as Farmer’s Institutes were held in the building, and at one time it housed a bank. In 2002, the Town Hall was renovated for use as a community room and village offices.
Side B: From its beginning in 1816, Sunbury was destined to be a stagecoach town. Anticipating large numbers of stagecoach travelers in Sunbury, the town’s founder, Lawrence Myers, built an inn at the intersection of two major stagecoach routes (the Old Walhonding Trail and the Delaware Newark Pike). In 1820, the first stagecoach arrived in Sunbury from Mt. Vernon. Famous stagecoach travelers who stopped in Sunbury included William Henry Harrison, Rutherford B. Hayes, Henry Clay, and Johnny Appleseed. Railway travel became more prevalent, and consequently the last stagecoach rolled out of Sunbury in 1873.
Sponsors: Ohio Bicentennial Commission, The Longaberger Company, Sunbury Fund of the Delaware County Community Foundation, and The Ohio Historical Society