Side A: This is the site of Camp Noble, named for Congressman Warren P. Noble, who obtained the officer’s commission for William H. Gibson as the colonel of the 49th Ohio Volunteer Infantry. Companies of 100 began to arrive here August 12, 1861 from Crawford, Hancock, Putnam, Sandusky, Seneca, and Wyandot Counties. On August 20, they were mustered into Federal service as the 49th Ohio Volunteer Infantry. Nicknamed the “Buckeye Vanguard” by Col. Gibson, training continued until September 9, 1861, when the 49th was ordered to Camp Dennison, near Cincinnati, Ohio. (Continued other side)
Side B: (Continued from other side) Departing Tiffin with 980 men, the 49th was in the battles of Shiloh, Corinth, Stone River, Liberty Gap, Chickamauga, Mission Ridge, Resaca, Pickett’s Mill, Kennesaw Mountain, Columbia, Franklin, Nashville, and duty in Texas. The 49th returned to Tiffin December 31, 1865 with 201 men. A total of 1,552 names appeared on the rolls of the 49th. Of the total, 206 men killed or mortally wounded, 165 died of disease, 14 perished in rebel captivity, and 616 discharged because of wounds or disease. The regiment traveled 4,600 miles during its service.