Below is a complete listing of all Ohio Historical Markers. To find a detailed marker listing including text, photographs, and locations, click on a county below. Our listing is updated by the markers program as new markers are installed and older markers are reported damaged or missing.
ALERT: The current location of this marker is unknown. If you have any information about this marker's location, please contact The Ohio History Connection. For historical and reference purposes, this listing will remain on our website. If the marker is located, we will update our website.
21-48 Lucas County
Side A: Lucas County was named for Governor Robert Lucas who championed Ohio’s cause in the “Toledo War,” a boundary dispute arising when both Ohio and the Michigan Territory claimed this area. The Ohio legislature created Lucas County on June 20, 1835. The first court session convened in a Toledo schoolhouse during the pre-dawn hours of September 7 to avoid the Michigan militia.
Side B: The Federal Government settled the dispute in Ohio’s favor in 1836. Toledo remained the county seat until 1840 when it was moved to Maumee. In 1852 it was returned to Toledo. The present courthouse, listed on the National Register of Historic Places, was completed in 1897 and replaced an earlier courthouse which stood at this corner from 1853 to 1897.