Side A: Michael Uhrich, Sr. founded Uhrich’s Mill on this site in 1806. Uhrich emigrated from Pennsylvania in 1804 and became one of the first County Commissioners upon the formation of Tuscarawas County in February 1808. In 1833, the same year Mill Township was organized, Michael Uhrich, Jr. platted the town named Waterford, which became Uhrichsville approximately six years later. During the Ohio-Erie Canal period, Uhrich’s Mill – consisting of four wheels (one for sawing wood, one for wheat, and two for grinding corn) – became the focal point for nearly all grain produced in the Stillwater Valley and shipped to Cleveland markets via the canal.
Side B: Clay, one of Tuscarawas County’s vast natural resources, led to the eventual formation of more than 30 clay plants throughout the county. Many products came from this natural and abundant resource, including brick, flue liners, and sewer pipes. During the heyday of the industry, the clay plants produced nearly one-fourth of Ohio’s clay products. The decline of the sewer pipe industry began with the advent of the wide use of plastic pipe. To celebrate this heritage, Uhrichsville and Dennison citizens held the National Clay Week Festival from the late 1940s until 2001.
Sponsors: Tuscarawas County Historical Society, Twin Cities Bicentennial Committee, and The Ohio Historical Society