Remarkable Ohio


Below is a complete listing of all Ohio Historical Markers. To find a detailed marker listing including text, photographs, and locations, click on a county below. Our listing is updated by the markers program as new markers are installed and older markers are reported damaged or missing.

5-20 Evansport

Side A: Evansport is named after brothers Amos and Albert G. Evans who, with Jacob Coy, had the village surveyed next to the Tiffin River on December 14, 1835. The “port” suffix in Evansport’s name reflects the river’s significance as a transportation thoroughfare. Evansport’s early growth was spurred by its mills powered by the Tiffin River. The mills provided settlers with lumber for buildings and supplied flour and cornmeal for sustenance and commerce. Settlers who poured into Williams County’s northern townships in the 1830s agitated debate about moving the county seat to a more centralized location. Evansport was platted as a possible site for the county seat. The Williams County seat was moved to Bryan in 1840 and in 1845 Defiance County was created, leaving Evansport on the Williams-Defiance county line.
Side B: Evansport reached its peak around 1880 with a population of more than 300 residents. The town featured fine residences, Methodist Episcopal and United Brethren churches, Masonic and Odd Fellows lodges, and a variety of business including blacksmiths, coopers (barrel makers), general stores, a wagon maker and gunsmith. Bypassed by railroads and major highways, Evansport, like many 19th century rural economic centers, became a bedroom community with a rich heritage. For many years, Evansport’s fire protection consisted of hastily-organized bucket brigades. Fires in 1893, 1921 and 1925 destroyed many downtown business buildings. In 1940, Evansport residents organized a fire department and purchased a used fire truck. In 2007, Tiffin Township Fire Department’s small downtown firehouse was replaced by a 7,000 square-foot, $700,000 fire station at Main and Church streets. The site was formerly occupied by the Evansport School.
Sponsors: Stryker Area Heritage Council, Evansport Terquasquicentennial Committee, and The Ohio Historical Society
Address: 1258 Main St, 
Location: Tiffin Township Fire Station, SW corner of Main Street and Church Street
Latitude: 41.4242110
Longitude: -84.3965950