Remarkable Ohio


Below is a complete listing of all Ohio Historical Markers. To find a detailed marker listing including text, photographs, and locations, click on a county below. Our listing is updated by the markers program as new markers are installed and older markers are reported damaged or missing.

ALERT: Marker inadvertently given a non-Muskingum County number, 11-66. It will be corrected to 11-60 when possible.

11-60 The Stone Academy

Side A: Constructed of sandstone quarried from nearby Putnam Hill, the Stone Academy dates to 1809. The Springfield School House Company erected the building, it is believed, to lure the statehouse from Chillicothe. However, when Zanesville was chosen as the capital the following year, the building was used for public functions and for its “intended” purpose as a school. The Ohio Anti-slavery Society held its state conventions here in 1835 and 1839, with prominent abolitionist leader Theodore Weld, among others, in attendance. The Stone Academy became a private residence after 1839. In the 1870s, it was the childhood home of Elizabeth Robins, the famed late-nineteenth and early-twentieth century actress, playwright, author, and activist. The Stone Academy was donated to the Pioneer and Historical Society of Muskingum County in 1981.
Side B: Same
Sponsors: Ohio Bicentennial Commission, The Longaberger Company, Zanesville-Muskingum County Convention and Visitors Bureau, and The Ohio Historical Society
Address: 115 Jefferson Street, 
Location: NE corner of Jefferson Street and Putnam Avenue, at access road
Latitude: 39.9317110
Longitude: -82.0069770