Side A: In 1804, Enoch (1764-1817) and Achsah (c.1767-1839) Carson and their seven children journeyd from New Jersey to Cincinnati. In 1805, they settled in the western hills in a large grove near Beech Flats, in what would become Green Township in 1809 and Cheviot in 1818. Game was plentiful and fertile soil yielded abundant crops. By 1806, Carson had cleared and cultivated nearly 20 acres of his land. That fall, he began a tradition that has continued into the 21st century. Echoing the ancient custom of harvest home, Carson brought together a fledging community to celebrate its good fortune and abundant harvests. Each passing year the community gathered in Carson’s grove to give thanks, rejoice, and uphold the tradition of harvest home. (Continued on other side)
Side B: (Continued from other side) In the spirit of Enoch Carson’s celebration, farmers in 1851 organized the Green Township Agricultural Society. In 1853, they staged a large exhibition of local agriculture and domestic handiwork to educate and inspire area youth. On September 20-21, 1855, the Society held its exhibition at Carson’s grove. In July 1860, the Green Township Harvest Home Association formed to institute an annual event. The first Green Township Harvest Home festivities were held the next month on August 16, 1860, at Carson’s grove. In 1925, Cheviot purchased the grove to preserve the heritage of Harvest Home. In 1939, the Kiwanis Club of Cheviot-Westwood took over, reinvigorated, and expanded the event. The Harvest Home Fair endures as a community tradition, harkening back to Carson’s original celebration in 1806.
Sponsors: Cheviot-Westwood Kiwanis Club, City of Cheviot, Bicentennial Committee, and The Ohio History Connection