Side A: Harvey Howard, a local druggist, built the house at 407 North Market Street around 1860. After many owners, Captain James B. Taylor bought the home in 1893. Taylor commanded Company H of the 120th Ohio Volunteer Infantry during the Civil War. He studied law after the war and moved his practice to Wooster in 1882. Taylor’s wife Emelie died in 1905 and in 1906 Taylor sold the property to become Wooster’s first city hospital. Many of the town’s noted physicians practiced here and the facility was eventually enlarged to accommodate 30 beds. The house was a hospital until 1943, when Central Christian Church purchased it. The church used the building for education programs and restored much of its decor, including four fireplaces, inlaid floors, and bronze door hardware.
Side B: Twenty-one congregants chartered the Wooster Church of Christ on July 26, 1835. The church’s first pastor was J.H. Jones, who was called to the pulpit in 1845. The congregation built its first sanctuary in 1847 at the corner of Walnut and South Streets. The congregation built and moved into a new church in 1890-1891, located on North Buckeye Street. Dr. Robert S. Tuck was called as pastor in 1923 and served until 1967. The congregation changed its name to Central Christian Church in 1951.