Side A: The following notice appeared in the Marysville Tribune newspaper, February 5, 1873: To Arms! To Arms! The Monument Association of Union Township propose holding a Fair and Festival in Milford Centre on Feb 20 and 21…the proceeds to be applied to the fund already raised to erect a Monument in memory of the fallen heroes of Union Tp. Said Monument to be unveiled on the 30th of May, 1873. It is desired that every citizen have an opportunity to contribute something in aid of such a worthy object. It is therefore hoped that every person, male and female, will send in their donations of such articles as they may have to lay upon the alter of our departed Heroes. Bring Wheat, Corn, fancy work, mitts, Hoods, articles for children, anything, to the value of a horse…. On May 30, 2003—130 years later—the Monument Association of Union Township rededicated the refurbished monument.
Side B: According to the June 4, 1873 edition of the Marysville Tribune, 179 men from Union Township enlisted in the U.S. Army during the Civil War. The township also provided 38 “Hundred Days Men.” Their enlistments were 100 days in duration and they were recruited for what was thought would be the last big push in the summer of 1864 that would topple the Confederacy and end the war. Eleven men from Union Township were “squirrel hunters,” members of a statewide civilian militia who rushed to Cincinnati to defend it from threatened invasion by Confederate General Henry Heth in September 1862. A total of 37 men from Union Township gave their lives for their country during the Civil War. Seventeen men died in combat, 5 men died from their wounds, and 15 died of disease. The granite tablets that flank the monument list the names of Civil War veterans buried in Union Township.
Sponsors: Union Township, Village of Milford Center, Monument Association of Union Township and The Ohio Historical Society