Side A: In August 1818, a group of six interrelated Welsh families, led by John Jones (Tirbach) landed in Gallipolis. They journeyed from Cardiganshire, South Wales destined for the Welsh settlement at Paddy’s Run, near Cincinnati. Following their decision to remain here instead, they built cabins in the Symmes Creek Valley on the old Welsh road between Centerville and Oak Hill. The group became the nucleus for later Welsh settlement, as the area became known as “Little Cardiganshire.” Evans Cemetery is on land set aside by John Jones, later owned by grandson Timothy Evans. Approximately 50 souls lie here, several in unmarked graves.
Side B: John JONES (Tirbach) wife Eleanor, and children Timothy and Jane. John EVANS (Penlanlas), wife Mary, and children John J., Eleanor, and William (an infant Evans died en route). Evan EVANS (Ty Mawr), wife Susannah and child. David and Elizabeth EVANS, siblings of Evan Evans. Lewis DAVIS (Rhiwlas), wife Mariah and children David and John. William WILLIAMS (Pantfallen), wife Margaret and nine children. Thomas EVANS and wife, and four children. “Here they lived, labored, and died; and many sleep in the little cemetery on the hillside.”