Side A: In 1887, John Eisenmann designed this stick-style building for the Peninsula Board of Education so that it could consolidate two one-room school houses. The Peninsula and the Boston Township Boards of Education merged in 1919. The brick addition, designed by architects Harpster and Bliss, was built in 1920. The trustees of Boston Township purchased this property in 1939 from the Board of Education. Union Grange #2380 occupied the first floor for nearly 50 years. The non-profit Boston Township Hall Committee, Inc. was formed in 1990 to work with the township trustees to restore the building.
Side B: In addition to the Boston Township Hall, well-known Cleveland architect John Eisenmann designed many prominent buildings, including the Cleveland Arcade. Eisenmann was also the first professor of civil engineering at the Case School of Applied Science and wrote Cleveland’s first building code. Eisenmann was paid $140 for his drawings for this school building, which was built for $4,000. Later in life, Eisenmann designed the state flag for Ohio, adopted in 1902. He was also a major advocate for the construction of the Perry’s Victory and International Peace Memorial at Put-In-Bay, opened in 1915.