Side A: Beginning in 1873, oil magnate and philanthropist John D. Rockefeller purchased 700 acres of land in East Cleveland Township, now located in East Cleveland and Cleveland Heights. A failed hotel built in 1874-1875 served as the family’s summer home until it was destroyed by fire in 1917, although Rockefeller’s son, John, Jr., continued to visit the grounds. The Rockefellers spent much of their time outdoors, where they built on the land’s natural beauty and carefully designed and built carriage, foot and bridle paths, scenic views, lakes, a lily pond, stone bridges, a horse track and a gold course. John, Jr. purhcased all of his father’s Forest Hill property in 1923 and continued to buy adjacent land.
Side B: In 1938, John D. Rockefeller, Jr. and his wife, Abbey, donated part of their Forest Hill estate to East Cleveland and Cleveland Heights as an intercity park for the use and good of the public. Cleveland landscape architect A. D. Taylor designed the 235-acres park, incorporating paths and features from the Rockefellers’ estate. Forest Hill Park was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1998.