Side A: The Connecticut Land Company surveyed Vienna Township as Township 4, Range 2, in 1798. The Township’s proprietors were Ephraim Root, Uriel Holmes, Jr., and Timothy Burr. Survey members Dennis Clark Palmer, Isaac Flower, and Samuel Hutchins and their families were the first to settle here in 1799. Between 1810 and 1840, Vienna was a center for the wooden works clock industry in Trumbull County and the Connecticut Western Reserve, with six factories located amid farms, sawmills, and quarries. After coal was discovered in 1866, over twenty mines were opened, bringing boom times for two decades. Vienna’s miners helped to bring about Ohio’s first mining safety law in 1874. Vienna was the birthplace of abolitionist and attorney John Hutchins (1812-1891), who represented Trumbull and Ashtabula counties in the United States Congress (1859-1863) and raised troops during the Civil War.
Side B: Vienna Township Green and Cemetery were created on June 20, 1810, when Ephraim Root and Uriel Holmes, Jr., deeded to Vienna Presbyterian Church members eight acres of “cleared & improved” land “North West of the Centre Point.” Historic structures standing on the Green are Vienna Presbyterian Church (1854); Vienna Center School (before 1872), now serving as Copper Penny Masonic Lodge; and Vienna Methodist Church (1849-50). The Soldiers and Sailors Monument was dedicated in 1889. Vienna Township Cemetery is the site of the Township’s first burial (1805), of pioneer Abiel Bartholomew. Interred here are soldiers of the nation’s wars dating back to the American Revolution; Helen L. Betts (1845-1910), the first woman to receive a medical degree in Mahoning Valley; and Lulie Mackey Wess (1866-1934), the first woman licensed to practice law in Trumbull County.