Side A: This mid-19th-century structure, built in the Federal style with Italianate detail added later, was once owned by town pioneer and merchant Cornelius Van Ausdal. It was later the home of his daughter Lucinda, her husband Joseph Donohoe, and their four children. Presidential candidate William Henry Harrison reportedly stayed here while he was in Eaton to deliver a campaign speech on September 8, 1840. Lucinda Donohoe reputedly also hosted circuit-riding preachers here and owned the area’s first piano. From 1938 to1966, this building housed Mrs. Wagner’s Colonial Kitchen, a nationally recognized restaurant.
Sponsors: The Gade Family, New Paris Kiwabnis, Somerville National Bank, and the Ohio History Connection