Side A: For ninety-one years, The Mahoning Dispatch served Canfield and the surrounding communities, earning the distinction of being the oldest continuously published newspaper owned by a single family in Mahoning County. The first edition of the weekly journal was published May 4, 1877, with a yearly subscription price of $1.50, to be paid in advance. Founded by Canfield native and Civil War veteran Henry Manning Fowler, The Mahoning Dispatch was originally located on the corner of East Main and Broad streets. In 1893, the business was moved to this location, which was built by Pierpont Edwards in 1866 to serve as a grocery store. The journal was one of the first printers in the area to purchase a linotype composing machine, which replaced the method of hand setting type. Published by three generations of the Fowler family, the newspaper was discontinued in 1968, maintaining its “country” paper characteristics to the end.
Sponsors: Canfield Historical Society, Robert H. and Maxine D. Neff and Family, and The Ohio Historical Society