Side A: Cyprian Lee (1792-1854) settled in the Union County wilderness in 1820 and purchased the 118 West Sixth Street lot in 1828 for $6. County treasurer, coroner, shoemaker, and anti-slavery activist, Lee lived here in a log cabin until 1832 when this Greek Revival two-story brick house was completed. Other notable citizens to have resided in this oldest brick house in Marysville were showman Noah Orr (1836-1882), also known as the “Union County Giant,” and Josiah Jacob Morelock (1833-1899), a member of the Marysville City Council and the first Fire Department in Marysville. The Morelock family tannery business and stables were located behind this house.
Side B: Colonel Noah Orr was born on September 19, 1836, in Union County. His fame derived from the fact that he was a very large man. At 7 feet 8 inches tall (nearly 9 feet in costume) and 500 pounds in weight, he toured the country as a giant and performer from the 1850s to 1882. He appeared with many leading circuses, shows, and museums. From 1878 to 1882, Orr traveled with the Liliputian Opera Company, a group of midget actors and one giant who performed musical comedies. His famous career ended July 1, 1882 when he died at this location.
Sponsors: Marysville Uptown Renewal Team, Shearer-Banks Insurance, Inc., and The Ohio Historical Society