Side A: The United Society of Believers (or “Shakers,” as they are commonly known) established White Water, the last of four Ohio Shaker villages, in 1824. White Water flourished throughout the nineteenth and early twentieth centuries. At its peak during the 1850s, 150 Believers living in three semi-autonomous Shaker “families” farmed 1,300 acres of land in Crosby and adjacent Morgan townships. The Shakers were among the most successful religious societies in the United States. Belief in the equality of men and women, separation of the sexes, celibacy, communal ownership of property, and a distinctive style of worship — characterized by rhythmic movements and shaking — helped define the Shaker lifestyle. (Continued on other side)
Side B: (Continued from other side) An enterprising people, the White Water Shakers operated grist and saw mills on nearby Dry Fork Creek, manufactured brooms, and sold packaged garden seeds, sorghum molasses, honey, apples, preserved fruits, and vinegar. Here, at the Center Family site, stand the Trustees’ Office (1855) and Broom Shop (1876). The South Family of Shakers was established one-half mile south of this marker by the purchase in 1850 of the Walker farm. One mile north are the brick Meeting House (1827), Dwelling (1832), and farm buildings of the North Family. More than twenty original Shaker structures remain at White Water.
Sponsors: Ohio Bicentennial Commission, The Longaberger Company, Crosby Township Historical Society, and The Ohio Historical Society