Side A: The Kyle-McCollum House, thought to be the oldest continuously inhabited residence still on its original site in Youngstown, was built by War of 1812 veteran Joshua Kyle (c. 1766-1842) and his wife Mary Stewart (c. 1774-1844). The Kyles moved from Westmoreland County, Pennsylvania, to the Mahoning Valley around 1800 and purchased about 1,300 acres of land on a hill above Mill Creek. Using stone quarried from the property, they built a house, completed in 1813. The Federal style of the house is typical of early 19th-century homes built in the Connecticut Western Reserve. The structure is two and a half stories with stone load-bearing walls that are two feet thick. Beside his farm, Kyle built a sawmill on Mill Creek near Slippery Rock, a site now under Lake Glacier. [Continued on other side]
Side B: [Continued from other side] Daughter Hannah Kyle (1807-1883) married Ira McCollum (1810-1890) in 1831. The Kyle-Price Cemetery, also known as Home Cemetery, was established in 1824 when Thomas, one of Joshua and Mary Kyles’ sons and brother to Hannah, died from a fall and was buried near the homestead. Joshua and Mary Kyle, Ira and Hannah McCollum, and many other family members are also buried there. Hannah McCollum inherited the estate, and the McCollum family lived in the house for three generations. In the 1890s, they sold 36 acres to help create Mill Creek Park. The house remained in the family until 1937. New owners hired prominent architect Charles F. Owsley (1880-1953), who designed additions to the house including the kitchen area, garage, and library.