Results for: municipal-buildings
1150 Joe Nuxhall Blvd
Hamilton

, OH

Celebrated Cincinnati Reds pitcher and radio broadcaster, Joe Nuxhall (July 30, 1928 – November 15, 2007) grew up here in Hamilton’s North End. On these fields the endearing story of “Hamilton Joe” Nuxhall began in the summer of 1943. Scouts from the Cincinnati Reds discovered fourteen-year-old Joe while he was playing with his father’s Sunday municipal league team. Because of World War II, the rosters of major league teams were depleted as players went off to fight. Joe, displaying exceptional talent and poise for his age, met the Reds’ dire need for pitchers. He signed a contract to play for Cincinnati on February 18, 1944. On June 10, at age 15, he became the youngest player in major league history when he pitched against the World Champion St. Louis Cardinals at Cincinnati’s Crosley Field. (Continued on other side)

2320 Airport Drive
Columbus

, OH

In 1937, Anne O’Hare McCormick became the first woman to win the Pulitzer Prize for foreign correspondence. She was born in Yorkshire, England and moved to Ohio as a child. She was educated at the Academy of St. Mary of the Springs. As a freelance writer, McCormick contributed to the Atlantic Monthly, the New York Times, and others. She became a regular correspondent for the Times in 1922 and was the first woman to join its editorial board in 1936. As a Times correspondent in Europe during the tumultuous years before and during World War II, she conducted interviews with leaders including Benito Mussolini, Adolf Hitler, Neville Chamberlain, Winston Churchill, and Josef Stalin.

Memorial School, 410 E 152nd Street
Cleveland

, OH

The Village of Collinwood was originally a part of Euclid Township of the Western Reserve and named after the death of railroad chief engineer Charles Collins in 1876. Originally known as “Frogsville,” the population of Collinwood dramatically increased in the 1870s, due partly to repair roundhouses of the Lake Shore & Michigan Southern Railroad. By 1901, the Village has grown to 7,500, and as a result, the schoolhouse, which once housed 200 students and four classrooms, had been enlarged twice to house 350 students in eight classrooms. Constructed in 1901, the Lakeview School was the site of a tragedy that reverberated across the nation and around the world. (Continued on other side)

E Medical Loop, S of Arlington Avenue
Toledo

, OH

Toledo State Hospital opened in January 1888 as the Toledo Asylum for the Insane. People were admitted with mild to severe forms of mental illness, and a variety of developmental, medical and neurological conditions, as well as for addictions, injuries, and old age. Originally built to house 650 people, by the 1950s its campus had grown to accommodate over 3,000. Growing access to new medications and treatments then began a gradual decline in patient population. Eventually, most of the buildings were razed, and much of the hospital’s property was transferred, later becoming the site of The Medical College of Ohio. This transfer included the two Toledo State Hospital cemeteries, with documented burials (as of 2009) totaling 1,994 persons. Toledo State Hospital New Cemetery was opened in 1922, when the Old Cemetery (1888-1922), located .5 miles to the northeast, reached capacity. (continued on other side)

Promenade Park, across from 100 Madison Avenue
Toledo

, OH

On the night of January 3, 1894, Toledo’s largest fire broke out in the massive King-Quale grain elevators. A westward wind from Maumee River drove flames toward the center of Toledo’s business district. The blaze destroyed several buildings including the Chamber of Commerce and the West and Truaz building. Despite the best efforts of city firefighters using horse-drawn steam pumpers, the fire continued until a serendipitous shift in the winds allowed the firefighters to contain the conflagration.

6001 Woodland Avenue
Cleveland

, OH

Carl B. Stokes was born June 21, 1927. His father, Charles, died when Carl was less than two years old. He grew up poor in Cleveland living with his mother, Louise, a domestic worker, and his brother, Louis. He served honorably in the United States Army. He graduated from the University of Minnesota and received a law degree from Cleveland Marshall Law School. He was the first African American democrat elected to the Ohio legislature. He was also elected Mayor of Cleveland, becoming the first African American Mayor of a major American city. He was elected judge of the Cleveland Municipal Court and was appointed by President Bill Clinton as ambassador to the Seychelles. He died on April 3, 1996.

639 E. Long Street
Columbus

, OH

Organized in 1823 as Bethel African Methodist Episcopal Church, St. Paul A.M.E. Church is the oldest congregation of African descent in Columbus. The church, founded by Moses Freeman and 13 other members from the Town Street Church, was originally located on the east side of Lazelle Street. Several buildings were erected to meet the needs of the growing congregation. The present edifice, located at 639 E. Long Street, was completed in 1906. St. Paul has several outreach ministries, including The Prison Ministry, Alzheimer Ministry, Karen’s House, Community Development Corporation, Health Concerns Committee, St. Paul Tutorial and Enrichment Program (STEP), St. Paul Scholarship Program, St. Paul Drama Ministry, Jam’N Jefferson Park Festival, and Church Without Walls.

6832 Convent Boulevard
Sylvania

, OH

In 1916, Bishop of Toledo Joseph Schrembs requested that the Sisters of Saint Francis, Rochester, Minnesota, send nuns to work with Polish immigrant children that were flooding into greater Toledo. Mother Mary Adelaide Sandusky (1874-1964) brought 22 sisters who quickly established a new order, their Toledo motherhouse, and began teaching in parish schools. Under her steady guidance, the Sisters of St. Francis of the Congregation of Our Lady of Lourdes, Sylvania, Ohio, transformed 89-acres of farmland into a tranquil campus that included gardens, shrines, and an arboretum. Mother Adelaide designed buildings modeled on the California missions and filled them with European art as well as original ceramic murals made by the Sisters. The Sylvania Franciscans flourished and over 500 new members joined between 1916 and 1964. (Continued on other side)