Results for: hamilton
Glenwood

, OH

Near this spot on July 13, 1863 General John Hunt Morgan at the head of 2000 Confederate cavalrymen invaded the state of Ohio in a raid that spread panic throughout the southern counties until his capture on July 26.

500 Springfield Pike
Wyoming

, OH

Robert Reily, founder of the village of Wyoming in 1861. He was born June 1, 1820, the son of John and Nancy Hunter Reily of Butler County. He served as a major, lieutenant colonel and colonel of the 75th Ohio Volunteer Infantry Regiment in the Civil War. At the battle of Chancellorsville, Virginia, on May 2, 1863, he was killed in action.

SE Corner of Salem Road and Sutton Road
Cincinnati

, OH

Francis McCormick (1764-1836), who fought under Lafayette at the siege of Yorktown, founded Methodism in the Northwest Territory. His evangelical and pioneer spirit led him from his Virginia birthplace to establish churches in the wilderness, first at Milford, Ohio, then here, at his village of Salem. He rests with his family and followers in the nearby churchyard.

SW corner of Central Avenue and W 5th Street
Cincinnati

, OH

On this site in October of 1870 met a group of enlightened individuals dedicated to the reformation and improvement of penal systems. This first Congress of the National Prison Association, now known as the American Correctional Association, adopted a far-sighted philosophy of corrections. This philosophy, embodied in its Declaration of Principles, remains today as the basic guide for modern correctional systems.

Wooster Pike/US 50
Mariemont

, OH

Ground was broken for Mariemont by Mary M. Emery, the village’s founder, on April 23, 1923. This planned community was designed by eminent town planner John Nolen and twenty-five of America’s leading architects. As part of the “garden city movement,” Mariemont was influenced by English models. Mariemont was incorporated July 12, 1941, and was listed on the National Register of Historic Places on July 24, 1979.

35 Cliff Road
North Bend

, OH

Originally belonging to the William Henry Harrison family, this cemetery was known as “The Pasture Graveyard” until the Civil War era. It became the final resting place of many members of the Harrison and Symmes families as well as other early settlers to the North Bend area. It was in use until 1884 when Maple Grove Cemetery opened as the official township cemetery.

Elstun Road
Cincinnati

, OH

Site of the first fortified settlement in Anderson Township and one of the first in the Virginia Military District. John Garard and Joseph Martin were the founders of this Station, who, with Elias Garard, Joseph Frazee, and others, came by two flatboats with families and livestock from Garards Fort, Pennsylvania, via the Ohio and Little Miami rivers. They landed here on December 23, 1790, and proceeded to erect the fortification.(Continued on other side)

SW corner of Reading Road/US 42 and W Columbia Avenue
Reading

, OH

In 1794 Abraham Voorhees, a Revolutionary War veteran, brought his family from New Jersey to the Northwest Territory to settle on 640 acres of land, part of the Miami Purchase, for which he paid John Cleves Symmes “533 dollars 30/90ths” in United States Treasury Certificates. By 1798 the town was platted and lots were being sold. Official registration of the plat was completed in 1804, the town’s name being changed to Reading at the suggestion of Henry Redinbo, who had moved his family to the area from Reading, Pennsylvania, in 1795.