Results for: cincinnati
7833 Anthony Wayne Ave
Cincinnati

, OH

In 1792, Captain Jacob White claimed land traditionally home to the Shawnee, Delaware (Lenni Lenape), Potawatomi, Miami, Wyandot, Seneca, Chippewa (Ojibwe or Anishinaabeg), Ottawa, and Wapakoneta indigenous nations. Located at the third crossing of Mill Creek, White’s Station, with a blockhouse and six cabins, served as a supply depot to nearby Cincinnati. On October 18, 1793, indigenous groups attacked the settlement in an effort to defend their ancestral lands. During the conflict, five people died: three members of David Flin’s family – Andrew Gobel and two of the Pryer children — as well as a tribal leader and his son whose names were not recorded. Andrew Pryer rushed to Fort Washington 10 miles away and returned with infantrymen who remained while a stockade was built to fortify the settlement.

2840 Melrose Ave.
Cincinnati

, OH

The Cincinnati Club, a prominent Jewish social club founded in 1889, opened their clubhouse at 2840 Melrose Avenue in 1894. A.E. Elzner designed the brick and stone building in the Norman-Gothic style. It featured massive round towers, wide porches, a ballroom, billiard rooms, bowling alley, as well as ornate club rooms. The Cincinnati Club hosted lavish events that celebrated Jewish identity and community. As the Jewish population migrated north and east of Walnut Hills, the club dissolved. In 1922, the vacant clubhouse was purchased by the Disabled American Veterans of the World War (DAV). The DAV Clubhouse provided recreation, resources, and shelter to disabled veterans for over twenty years. The organization, founded in Cincinnati in 1920, led to the establishment of the Veterans Administration and improved support for wounded veterans nationwide.

6000 Queens Highway (or 6000 Layor Drive)
Parma Heights

, OH

Founded in 1914, Holy Name High School was one of the first co-educational Roman Catholic high schools in Cleveland. Originally located at Harvard and Broadway Avenues, the school opened under the direction of Holy Name Parish with educational leadership of the Sisters of Charity from Cincinnati. In 1978, Holy Name High School moved to its present location in Parma Heights, the former home of Nazareth Academy. Throughout its history, Holy Name High School has served the community by providing a Catholic, college-preparatory education. The Holy Name spirit lives on through its alumni, who have made a difference around the world.

120 W Goodale St
Columbus

, OH

Pater Noster (“Our Father”) House was a nonprofit crisis center and hospice for people living with HIV/AIDS that originated in the Columbus Hilltop neighborhood. Barbara Cordle (1939-2020) opened the center in 1985 to serve the community during a time of intense homophobia. Cordle, a devout Catholic and licensed practical nurse, felt called to serve those who needed her care. During the 17 years it operated, Pater Noster housed over 1,100 patients for little or no cost. LIFE magazine ran a photo of patient David Kirby’s final moments in November 1990 that “changed the face of AIDS.” In 1997, all Pater Noster House operations moved to a farmhouse on the southwest side. Cordle was honored by the American Institute for Public Service with a Jefferson Award for “outstanding community service” in 2002.