Results for: hamilton
1805 Dalton Ave.
Cincinnati

, OH

Crosley Field was the home of the Cincinnati Reds for almost 58 years. Opened in 1912 as Redland Field, the ballpark was renamed in 1934 when famed Cincinnati industrialist Powel Crosley Jr. purchased the team. Over its years of service, Crosley Field was home to Reds teams that won National League Championships in 1919, 1939, 1940, and 1961, and World Series titles in 1919 and 1940. The park also played host to the Major League Baseball All-Star Game in 1938 and 1953. Crosley Field famously held what was then acknowledged as the first night game under lights on May 24, 1935. Such visiting legends as “Shoeless” Joe Jackson, Babe Ruth, Joe DiMaggio, Willie Mays, and Jackie Robinson played at Crosley Field. (Continued on other side)

7833 Anthony Wayne Ave
Cincinnati

, OH

In 1792, Captain Jacob White claimed land traditionally home to the Shawnee, Delaware (Lenni Lenape), Potawatomi, Miami, Wyandot, Seneca, Chippewa (Ojibwe or Anishinaabeg), Ottawa, and Wapakoneta indigenous nations. Located at the third crossing of Mill Creek, White’s Station, with a blockhouse and six cabins, served as a supply depot to nearby Cincinnati. On October 18, 1793, indigenous groups attacked the settlement in an effort to defend their ancestral lands. During the conflict, five people died: three members of David Flin’s family – Andrew Gobel and two of the Pryer children — as well as a tribal leader and his son whose names were not recorded. Andrew Pryer rushed to Fort Washington 10 miles away and returned with infantrymen who remained while a stockade was built to fortify the settlement.

2840 Melrose Ave.
Cincinnati

, OH

The Cincinnati Club, a prominent Jewish social club founded in 1889, opened their clubhouse at 2840 Melrose Avenue in 1894. A.E. Elzner designed the brick and stone building in the Norman-Gothic style. It featured massive round towers, wide porches, a ballroom, billiard rooms, bowling alley, as well as ornate club rooms. The Cincinnati Club hosted lavish events that celebrated Jewish identity and community. As the Jewish population migrated north and east of Walnut Hills, the club dissolved. In 1922, the vacant clubhouse was purchased by the Disabled American Veterans of the World War (DAV). The DAV Clubhouse provided recreation, resources, and shelter to disabled veterans for over twenty years. The organization, founded in Cincinnati in 1920, led to the establishment of the Veterans Administration and improved support for wounded veterans nationwide.