73-31 Walter Scott, Christian Pioneer

The Society of the Disciples in Carthage (Carthage Christian Church, Disciples of Christ) was organized under the teaching of Pioneer Evangelist Walter Scott in 1832. He is recognized as one of the four primary leaders of the Stone-Campbell Movement. His prolific evangelistic work among people of the American frontier played a vital role in the […]
72-31 Cincinnati Breweries

The Brewery District contains the majority of Cincinnati’s remaining breweries and associated structures such as icehouses, bottling buildings, offices, and stables. With the first brewery north of Liberty Street founded in1829, German immigrants fueled the growth of the brewing industry; by 1891, Cincinnati breweries produced over four barrels of beer per resident annually, almost twice […]
71-31 Morgan’s Raid through Springdale

In July 1863, Confederate Brigadier-General John Hunt Morgan led a force of 2,000 cavalrymen across southern Ohio. Morgan’s force entered Ohio from Indiana. A chase ensued as Union cavalry pursued Morgan’s men across twenty Ohio counties. To evade 2,500 Union cavalrymen under Brigadier-General Edward Hobson and thousands of Union militia stationed at Cincinnati and Hamilton, […]
70-31 Old Saint Mary Cemetery

In 1801, the Springdale Presbyterian Church acquired these two and a half acres to construct a church and cemetery. Although the church moved to a new location in 1833, the cemetery remained and continued to receive regular internments until the mid 1950s. Because of a continued decline in church membership, the Presbyterian Church was eventually […]
69-31 The Colleges and Academies of College Hill

The first in a succession of schools that eventually gave College Hill its name was CARY’S ACADEMY FOR BOYS. Freeman Cary opened this school in his home on Hamilton Avenue in 1832. Success necessitated larger quarters and in 1833 PLEASANT HILL ACADEMY was built at the corner of Hamilton and Colerain (now Belmont) Avenues. Continuing […]
68-31 The Cincinnati and Hamilton Turnpike

Population growth in the newly settled communities of Cincinnati (1788) and Hamilton (1791) led to a call to improve the early Native American and military foot trail that connected the two settlements. The Cincinnati and Hamilton Turnpike Company was incorporated in 1817 to construct a turnpike between the two communities. With a capital-stock value of […]
67-31 Colerain Turnpike Watering Trough

This spring fed watering trough was erected by Giles Richards (1792-1876) in 1867 and has provided water to travelers and livestock ever since. Richards owned and operated a number of enterprises in Colerain Township starting in the early 1800s. Upon the marble slab just above the iron trough is engraved: Stranger and traveler Drink freely […]
65-31 Gaines High School / Peter H. Clark

In 1866, Gaines High School (grades 7-12), one of the first high schools for African Americans in Ohio, opened just west of this site in the same building as the Western District Elementary School, completed in 1859 and enlarged in 1866 and 1868. The school was named for John I. Gaines, whose leadership was responsible […]
62-31 Sisters of Charity of Cincinnati

Founded by Saint Elizabeth Bayley Seton in Maryland in 1809, the Sisters of Charity arrived in Cincinnati in 1829 to open a school and an orphanage, becoming the first permanent establishment of Catholic sisters in Ohio. In 1852 the group separated from its Maryland roots to form a diocesan community and called themselves the Sisters […]
60-31 Woodward High School / School for Creative and Performing Arts

William and Abigail Cutter Woodward founded Woodward High School, the first public high school west of the Allegheny Mountains, on this site October 24, 1831. Concerned that the poor of Cincinnati had no avenues for education, the Woodwards donated land, time, funding, and expertise to this venture that brought the arts and sciences to “those […]