, OH
The Cincinnati Club, a prominent Jewish social club founded in 1889, opened their clubhouse at 2840 Melrose Avenue in 1894. A.E. Elzner designed the brick and stone building in the Norman-Gothic style. It featured massive round towers, wide porches, a ballroom, billiard rooms, bowling alley, as well as ornate club rooms. The Cincinnati Club hosted lavish events that celebrated Jewish identity and community. As the Jewish population migrated north and east of Walnut Hills, the club dissolved. In 1922, the vacant clubhouse was purchased by the Disabled American Veterans of the World War (DAV). The DAV Clubhouse provided recreation, resources, and shelter to disabled veterans for over twenty years. The organization, founded in Cincinnati in 1920, led to the establishment of the Veterans Administration and improved support for wounded veterans nationwide.