Remarkable Ohio

Serpent Mound Marker
[ stop the slideshow ]

TheCrossing2

TheCrossing2.JPG ThumbnailsTheCrossing1ThumbnailsTheCrossing1ThumbnailsTheCrossing1ThumbnailsTheCrossing1ThumbnailsTheCrossing1ThumbnailsTheCrossing1ThumbnailsTheCrossing1

Side A: The Crossing. The coming of the railroads to Alliance is an important event in Stark County's history. In 1851, the Cleveland & Pittsburgh Railroad (running SE to NW) and the Ohio & Pennsylvania Railroad (E to W) intersected at this location. It was known as “the crossing” and became the Village of Alliance. William Robinson, Jr., the president of the Ohio & Pennsylvania Railroad, is credited with applying the name "Alliance" to the crossing, dating to when the railroads bought rights-of-way in 1849 and anticipated the intersection of the lines. A plat named “Alliance” was recorded September 26, 1850. The Village of Alliance was established in 1854, when 100 citizens of the communities of Williamsport, Freedom, and Alliance (also known as Liberty), signed a petition to incorporate on March 15. The petition was accepted and recorded in June. Side B: The Crossing. Same as Side A