Remarkable Ohio

Serpent Mound Marker
Home / Wyandot County / 2-88 Departure of the Wyandot Indians /

2-88 Margaret Grey-Eyes "Mother" Solomon

398_3090.jpg 2-88 Bill Moose CrowfootThumbnails2-88 Wyandot Indians2-88 Bill Moose CrowfootThumbnails2-88 Wyandot Indians2-88 Bill Moose CrowfootThumbnails2-88 Wyandot Indians2-88 Bill Moose CrowfootThumbnails2-88 Wyandot Indians

⇧ Go to 2-88 Departure of the Wyandot Indians Marker Home


Marker Details

Title, side A
Departure of the Wyandot Indians
Title, side B
Same
Address
200 E. Church Street
Upper Sandusky, 43351
Location
200 East Church Street
Latitude
40.8356290
Longitude
-83.2783320

Picture Details

Title
Margaret Grey-Eyes "Mother" Solomon
Caption
Margaret Grey-Eyes "Mother" Solomon, last Wyandot Indian, ca. 1880. Her family lived on the Grand Reserve, the twelve-by-nineteen square mile reservation in what is now known as Wyandot County. She attended the first school on the reservation, established by missionary John Stewart. In July 1843 she, her first husband David Young and their children, were among the tribe members relocated to Kansas City, Kansas. She and her second husband, John Solomon, returned to live in Upper Sandusky, Ohio around 1865. Margaret's work in the Wyandot community earned her the nickname "Mother Solomon" (AL03678).