Remarkable Ohio

Serpent Mound Marker
[ stop the slideshow ]

11-87 A sunny winter afternoon in Wood County

448_105085.jpg Thumbnails11-87 MarkerThumbnails11-87 MarkerThumbnails11-87 Marker

Side A: Wood County Infirmary 1889-1971. The Infirmary, also known as the poorhouse or simply "The Home," is one of the last county poorhouse sites in Ohio where nearly all of the original structures still stand. The main building, constructed in 1868 with outbuildings added over the years, served as home for the county's poor, sick, orphaned, elderly, and mentally ill. The Lunatic House was added in 1885 as a facility for the violently insane. The Infirmary operated as a self-sufficient farm where residents contributed according to their ability. Throughout its 102 years of service, the Infirmary had an average population of eighty residents, swelling to over 140 during the Great Depression of the 1930s. The site closed as a poorhouse in 1971 but reopened in 1975 as the Wood County Historical Center and Museum. The Wood County Infirmary was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1979. Side B: Same. Same