Side A: Union Village (1805-1912). Union Village, the first and largest Shaker (United Society of Believers) community west of the Allegheny Mountains, was established in 1805. Nearly 4,000 Shakers lived in Union Village, the last living here until 1920. They owned 4,500 acres of land with more than 100 buildings. Union Village was parent to other communities in Ohio, Kentucky, Indiana, and Georgia. Shakers were among the most successful religious communal societies in the United States. Believe in equality of men and women, separation of sexes, confession, communal ownership of property, and celibacy helped define their society. The name "Shaker" was derived from the shaking and dancing that were part of their worship. Union Village Shakers were successful entrepreneurs selling herbal medicines, garden seeds, and brooms. They also raised and bred Poland China hogs, Durham cattle, and Merino sheep. Side B: NULL. Shaker buildings still extant: 1810 Trustees' Office (now Marble Hall), 1844 Center House (now Bethany Hall), 1893 Engine/Boiler House. Union Village was purchased by the United Brethren in Christ Church in 1912. The site was a home for children from 1913-1963, and a retirement center for adults from 1913 to the present. It is related to the United Methodist Church.