Remarkable Ohio

Serpent Mound Marker
[ stop the slideshow ]

1-81 The bridge is in the fairgrounds. Go left through the gate and marker will be on the left side of the road

341_109168.jpg 1-81 MarkerThumbnails1-81 Another view1-81 MarkerThumbnails1-81 Another view1-81 MarkerThumbnails1-81 Another view1-81 MarkerThumbnails1-81 Another view1-81 MarkerThumbnails1-81 Another view1-81 MarkerThumbnails1-81 Another view1-81 MarkerThumbnails1-81 Another view

Side A: Hoghe Road Bridge. Built in 1894 at a cost of $575, this bridge spanned Town Creek at Hoghe Road (Township Road 82) for 100 years. The Van Wert County Commissioners approved the bridge's construction in response to requests from the Cincinnati, Jackson & Mackinaw Railroad Company. The span is an example of the truss-leg bedstead design. It was intended to handle heavy loads traveling to and from area railroad tracks, which were less than a mile from the bridge's original location. The bridge was removed from Hoghe Road in 1994. The Van Wert County Engineer's Department rehabilitated the bridge and, with the permission of the Van Wert County Agricultural Society, relocated it to the county fairgrounds in 1997. Side B: Same. Same