Remarkable Ohio

Serpent Mound Marker
[ stop the slideshow ]

23-79 Marker Side B

106257_139229.jpg 23-79 Marker Side AThumbnails23-79 Location view23-79 Marker Side AThumbnails23-79 Location view23-79 Marker Side AThumbnails23-79 Location view23-79 Marker Side AThumbnails23-79 Location view23-79 Marker Side AThumbnails23-79 Location view23-79 Marker Side AThumbnails23-79 Location view23-79 Marker Side AThumbnails23-79 Location view

Side A: Camp Meigs. Camp Meigs was established in 1861 at what later became the Tuscarawas County Fairgrounds. At this site, two regiments of Ohio Volunteer Infantry, the 51st and 80th, were mustered into the Union Army. The 51st OVI was organized in October 1861. Six of its ten companies were from Tuscarawas County and fought in the battles of Perryville, Stones River, Chickamuaga, Missionary Ridge, Kennesaw Mountain, and Nashville. The 80th OVI was organized in December 1861. Four of its ten companies were from Tuscarawas County and fought in the battles of Corinth, Vicksburg, Mission Ridge, and Bentonville. Side B: Same. Same