Remarkable Ohio

Serpent Mound Marker
[ stop the slideshow ]

23-77 Goodyear Tire and Rubber Company Employee Making Tires

697_2891.jpg 23-77 The marker 5/26/2013Thumbnails23-77 Goodyear Tire and Rubber Company Aerial Photograph23-77 The marker 5/26/2013Thumbnails23-77 Goodyear Tire and Rubber Company Aerial Photograph23-77 The marker 5/26/2013Thumbnails23-77 Goodyear Tire and Rubber Company Aerial Photograph

Front Text: Industrialist and entrepreneur Franklin Augustus Seiberling (1859-1955) named his fledgling rubber goods manufacturing company "Goodyear" to honor Charles Goodyear, the man who invented the vulcanization process for curing rubber. Seiberling founded the company with his brother, Charles Willard, because of their desire to participate in an enterprise that afforded an "opportunity for invention." Incorporated in 1898, Goodyear Tire and Rubber Company rapidly grew with the young automotive industry and helped establish Akron as the "Rubber Capital of the World." Among Seiberling's many significant inventions were the tire-making machine and the detachable wheel rim. He resigned from Goodyear in 1921 and went on to found the Seiberling Rubber Company. Stan Hywet Hall, F.A. Seiberling's estate in west Akron, is a National Historic Landmark. Back Text: Same