Remarkable Ohio

Serpent Mound Marker
[ stop the slideshow ]

12-77 #1- The Setting

323_9721.jpg 12-77 The marker 8/10/2013Thumbnails12-77 #2- The Marker12-77 The marker 8/10/2013Thumbnails12-77 #2- The Marker12-77 The marker 8/10/2013Thumbnails12-77 #2- The Marker

Front Text: Thomas Johnson first came to Norton Township in 1814, and within three years he had established the township's first sawmill along the fast-moving waters of Wolf Creek. The enterprising Johnson also erected a tavern, store, and post office, all on the northeast corner of this town square. In 1830 a grist mill was added to the community. Predating the founding of Barberton by seventy-seven years, Johnson's Corner existed from 1817 until 1929, when it was annexed into Barberton. Back Text: Same