Remarkable Ohio

Serpent Mound Marker
Home /

8-76 Pro Football Hall of Fame and Fawcett Stadium

532_3173.jpg 8-76 Jim ThorpeThumbnails8-76 Pro Football Hall of Fame  8-76 Jim ThorpeThumbnails8-76 Pro Football Hall of Fame  8-76 Jim ThorpeThumbnails8-76 Pro Football Hall of Fame  8-76 Jim ThorpeThumbnails8-76 Pro Football Hall of Fame

⇧ Go to Home Marker Home


Marker Details

Subjects
Canton, Football

Picture Details

Title
Pro Football Hall of Fame and Fawcett Stadium
Caption
This 1960s photograph shows Fawcett Stadium and the Pro Football Hall of Fame in Canton, Ohio. The Pro Football Hall of Fame opened on September 7, 1963. The facility was expanded in 1971, nearly doubling in size. By the end of the twentieth century the museum expanded two more times and drew crowds of 200,000 people annually. John A. Fawcett Stadium, named for a member of the Canton Board of Education, was completed in 1939. At the time it was the largest high school stadium in the United States. The stadium was renovated in 1997. Five teams call the field home: Glen Oak, McKinley, and Timken high schools, Malone College, and Walsh University (Om3048_001).